I took some time during the winter holidays to work on some of the dusted software project that were laying around. On my personal VPS I have installed
- Cryptpad coming from https://cryptpad.fr/ for encrypted wiki pages
- Nextcloud from https://nextcloud.com/ but specially focussing on collabora https://www.collaboraoffice.com/ and onlyoffice https://www.onlyoffice.com/ because I am still looking for a open source alternative for google docs. Both were not set up correctly and needed a refresh.
- Seafile https://www.seafile.com/ as faster alternative for nextcloud but needed an upgrade.
- Pydio https://pydio.com/ as alternative for seafile and or nextcloud but taken less serious than the other two.
- Standardnotes https://standardnotes.org/ could be a safe place for my notes, thoughts, and life's work and it is free, open-source and completely encrypted.
- Solid, a complicated project started by MIT, than endorsed by Tim Berners Lee (an open letter published on September 28, 2018 with the title: One Small Step for the Web... https://www.inrupt.com/blog/one-small-step-for-the-web) and further developed by Inrupt https://solid.inrupt.com/ Its mission is to reshape the web as we know it and I find those missions intriguing. The focus is on true data ownership, modular design and reusing existing data.
In the coming weeks I will tell you more about the different part of the projects and how successful they were, but I can see at the last day of my holidays the I am satisfied with the achievements so far.